How often do you have your air conditioner cleaned? Every 4-6 months is the suggestion.
But wait … how often do you clean the filter inside your air con? Every time the air con gets cleaned is the normal answer.
Is it enough?
Do you or members of your family get sneezy, or experience itchy skin and eyes? A dirty air filter can actually be the cause of these allergies. So you should actually clean the air filter of your air conditioner once a month. (If you see the photos below, you’d want to clean it once a week even!)
Aside from cleaning the filter, I bought Filtrete, this 3M product that adds an extra filter to your air conditioner filter. Here are the steps in installing it.
1. Remove the screen/ filter which you can find under that big door of your air conditioner. Clean it with soap and water.
2. Get the sheet of 3M Filtrete. Cut it to the size of your screen. Then use double adhesive or masking tape to stick it to the screen. 3M recommends to just put on 3/4 of the screen — I’m not entirely sure why.
3. Put back the screen inside your air conditioner. Close the door.
4. Add the air quality indicator outside of your air conditioner towards the bottom part.
5. Monitor the round area of the air quality indicator. As it darkens, it means it’s getting dirtier and the Filtrete should be replaced and the filter cleaned.
6. In the air quality indicator, I suggest, you also put the date.
After 2 weeks of putting the Filtrete, my daughter said, “Mama, the circle is black.” It was actually grey so I decided to wait it out (ugh) to see up to what point it would really turn black. After 1 month, it really turned black. To think, cars don’t pass that area of our house. Our bedroom faces a columbarium (another issue altogether) and a forest.
Here is the filter when I removed it after a month. One word: HORROR.
Thus, I really suggest you replace the Filtrete and clean the actual air con filter every month or week even. I believe given the state of our air quality in Manila and the fact that we use these machines everyday, our air conditioners should be cleaned every 3-4 months.
A clean air conditioner and filter also helps it work better and manages electricity consumption as well.
The 3M Filtrete I just bought from True Value and can make about 6 filter sheets. If I remember it’s about 600 pesos.
Our air conditioners get cleaned by RMC. I like them because they’re a bit nerdy. Their number is +6325199913.