Packing Away Small Toys

My daughter is already 4 and she’s accumulated a lot of toys throughout the years even though we’ve done regular purging (and to think she’s never had a big birthday party ever so she doesn’t even have a lot of gifts from birthdays).  I have to admit, I love encouraging her interest for miniature toys with miniature furniture.  (I remember my Strawberry Shortcake dolls when I was little.  They still smell the same!!)

It’s just so hard to pack them away.

In one of my true Value trips, I found these freezer containers that were perfect for these small toys.  They’re see-through so you can see what’s inside.  They’re small enough to fit each set of toys so M can sort them by kind (Lalaloopsy vs. Strawberry Shortcake vs Disney Princess).  They’re also stackable.  A stack of two containers with one cover is about P300 I think.  I forget already, sorry.

With this system, packing away can be educational because you can teach your child sorting by packing away toys of the same kind in one container.  She can also count how many dolls in each container, which is a lesson in one-to-one counting.  Finally, it teaches independence as she can learn how to pack away by herself and find toys by herself when she wants to play with them.

For each stack, we have one container for dolls and one container for furniture and accessories.  Oh and it’s also great for food for the freezer because it’s BPA-free (that’s what it was actually made for haha).

Do you have wonderful toy organization ideas to share?  Send me your photos and tips at ocmominmanila@gmail.com.

This entry was posted in OC At Home and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Packing Away Small Toys

First I have to say… ang dami niyang Strawberry Shortcake! hahaha.

But yes, cool idea! Elie gave Sam a batch of wooden “food” and every time we pack it away, it is by food group: fruits & vegetables, wheat / grain, proteins and dairy. Then the desserts are separate (because they’re a lot. Haha).

Yes, ang dami!! I want to keep a few na nga in a memory box for her when she becomes an adult. It would be nice to see old toys like this. I also want to preserve all these small things and make them Christmas tree decor when they’re not playing with them anymore.

I love wooden toys!!

2. gie says:

ay! You’ve just given me an idea! haha 😀 I’m off to SM to get me some of these stackables! My trouble naman is with my daughter’s tween things (you know, abubots. lol) Thanks for sharing!

3. Om in Mom says:

Hey Kris! Your post is very timely indeed. My eldest and I are packing up and sorting toys today and I’m starting to really destest anything with itty bitty pieces. I will be looking around for some similar transparent boxes. Not sure I’ll get the chance between now and our house move on Thursday though… Oh, to be OC at tidying… Ho hum. We’ll get there. New house = new start. 😀

4. Sheryl says:

A timely post for me too! My daughter received a lot of miniatures recenlty too and I have been so OC about not losing the accessories! Yey! I just feel happy that ai’m not alone thinking of the best ways to be able to sort and store lil’toys.:)

5. Not sure if my comment went through..but uhh do you tutor kids on how to be OC? Maybe I could send my kiddo to you and how much will it cost? Hehe

6. Rachel says:

great idea! :) i think i’ll do these with some of LC’s toys. but with his other toys now, we re-purpose empty biscuit containers. it serves as a small table and stool too. i wrote about it here: http://mommymamarat.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/the-multi-purpose-biscuit-container/

7. Pingback: Lock & Lock is Crazy OC | OC Mom in Manila